Instead of a Holiday: Scotland
Where shall we go today?
While the world deals with the pandemic, many aspects of our normal lives are on hold. Holidays in 2020 are likely to be difficult or impossible. With than in mind, we’ve put together a series of ‘instead of a holiday’ book lists. These lists contain novels with a sense of atmosphere and setting to imaginatively transport you to places you can’t currently get to, as well as travel, food and history writing to provide that all-important cultural engagement.
This coming August the Edinburgh book festival goes online. You can still travel-in-mind to the city, and other famous and lesser known parts of Scotland, with these favourites.
All books on this list
- Sunset SongLewis Grassic Gibbon, Nicola Sturgeon£12.99
- This Is Memorial DeviceDavid Keenan£8.99
- The Living MountainNan Shepherd, Robert Macfarlane£9.99
- The Prime of Miss Jean BrodieMuriel Spark, Candia McWilliam£7.99
- The Edwin Morgan Twenties: ScotlandEdwin Morgan, Liz Lochhead£5.00
- TrumpetJackie Kay£8.99
- The Big MusicKirsty Gunn£9.99
- Poverty SafariDarren McGarvey£8.99
- FindingsKathleen Jamie£9.99
- The Cone-GatherersRobin Jenkins, Paul Giamatti£9.99