Instead of a Holiday: Hungary
Where shall we go today?
While the world deals with the pandemic, many aspects of our normal lives are on hold. Holidays in 2020 are likely to be difficult or impossible. With than in mind, we’ve put together a series of ‘instead of a holiday’ book lists. These lists contain novels with a sense of atmosphere and setting to imaginatively transport you to places you can’t currently get to, as well as travel, food and history writing to provide that all-important cultural engagement.
Today we go to Hungary, with the help of gems set in the gorgeous, many-layered city of Budapest or in a castle by the Carpathian mountains, 1950s-youth escapades and history which must never be forgotten.
All books on this list
- The DoorMagda Szabo, Len Rix£8.99
- EmbersSandor Marai£8.99
- Kaddish For An Unborn ChildImre Kertesz, Tim Wilkinson£8.99
- MetropoleFerenc Karinthy, George Szirtes£8.99
- Under The FrogTibor Fischer£8.99
- Between the Woods and the WaterPatrick Leigh Fermor£9.99
- Life Is A DreamGyula Krudy, John Batki£12.99
- HungaryNorman Stone£9.99