Instead of A Holiday: Brazil
Where shall we go today?
While the world deals with the pandemic, many aspects of our normal lives are on hold. Holidays in 2020 are likely to be difficult or impossible. With than in mind, we’ve put together a series of ‘instead of a holiday’ book lists. These lists contain novels with a sense of atmosphere and setting to imaginatively transport you to places you can’t currently get to, as well as travel and history writing to provide that all-important cultural engagement.
This one takes us to Brazil. Be it learning about the reality of indigenous peoples or delving into a modern classic by Clarice Lispector, you’re sure to encounter complexity and contrast wherever you go.
All books on this list
- The Collector of Leftover SoulsEliane Brum, Diane Grosklaus Whitty£12.99
- Machado de AssisJoaquim Maria Machado de Assis, Margaret Jull Costa, Robin Patterson, Michael Wood£11.99
- The SpiesLuis Fernando Verissimo£7.99
- Hour of the StarClarice Lispector£7.99
- My German BrotherBuarque, Chico£8.99
- All Dogs are BlueRodrigo Souza Leao, Deborah Levy, Stefan Tobler, Zoe Perry£10.00
- Child of the Dark: The Diary of Carolina Maria de Jesusde Jesus, Carolina Maria (Author), St Clair, David (Translator), Levine, Robert M (Afterword by)£9.99
- HeliopolisJames Scudamore£8.99
- The Book of RioMarcelo Moutinho, Elvira Vigna Lehmann, Joao Ximenes Braga, Domingos Pellegrini, Lucia Bettencourt, Joao,Gilberto Noll, Rafael Cardoso Denis, Toni Marques, Katie Slade, Daniel Hahn£9.99